Quotes (11)Add a Quote
"What would I see in the mirror if I were a normal girl? Would I think that I was too fat or too thin? Would I dislike my hips, my waist, my face? Would I have body-image issues? As it stands, my only issue is that I would gladly trade this body for one that works properly." Page 205
- "Love opens you up to the world."
- "I was happy before I met him. But I'm alive now and those are not the same thing"
- "I loved you before I knew you."
- "I don't know the answer to this question. The only thing I know for sure is that this —being here with Olly, being able to love him and be loved by him—is everything."
- "He's trapped by the same memory of love, of better times, that his mother is, and it isn't enough."
- "Olly: my life is better with you in it
Madeline: but mine isn't"
- "But anything can happen at any time. Safety is not everything. There's more to life than being alive"
- "Love is worth everything. Everything"
“Will I encounter turbulence? Yes. Into all lives a little turbulence must fall.”
“In the beginning there was nothing and then there was everything.”
“The Void – a universe that can wink into existence can wink out again.”
" Not pointless," she says, and looks at me seriously. "Just because you can't experience everything doesn't mean you shouldn't experience anything..." (Carla to Madeline)
it's soothing to see an entire world at once-to see the pieces and know how it all fits together. Page 296
We watch the way the water pulls back and turns over and beats against the sand, trying to wear the earth away. And even though it doesn't succeed, it pulls back and pounds the shore again and again, as if there were no last time and there is no next time and this time is the time that counts. Page 232
There's no denying it now. I'm in the world. And, too, the world is in me. Page 196
I was happy before I met him. But I'm alive now, and those are not the same thing. Page 181
Because of you I've survived this long and gotten a chance to know my small part of the world. But it's not enough. It's not your fault. It's this impossible life. I'm not doing this just because of Olly. Or maybe I am. I don't know. I don't know how to explain it. It's Olly and it's not-Olly at the same time. It's like I can't look at the world in the old way anymore. I found this new part of myself when I met him and the new part doesn't know how to stay quiet and still and just observe. Page 168