SPSS for Introductory Statistics
Use and InterpretationeBook - 2004
This book distinguishes itself from other SPSS resources through its unique integration of the research process (including design) and the use and interpretation of the statistics. Designed to help students analyze and interpret research data, the authors demonstrate how to choose the appropriate statistic based on the research design, interpret SPSS output, and write about the output in a research paper. The authors describe the use and interpretation of these statistics in user-friendly, non-technical language. The book prepares students for all of the steps in the research process, from design and data collection, to writing about the results. The new edition features SPSS 14.0 for Windows, but can also be used with older and newer versions. There are also new problems, expanded discussions of effect sizes, and an expanded appendix on getting started with SPSS. The book features discussions of writing about outputs, data entry and checking, reliability assessment, testing assumptions, and descriptive, inferential, and nonparametric statistics. Several related statistics are included in each chapter. SPSS syntax, along with the output, is included for those who prefer this format. Two realistic data sets are available on the book's CD and are used to solve the end of chapter problems.
SPSS for Introductory Statistics, Third Edition, provides these helpful teaching tools:
* All of the key SPSS windows needed to perform the analyses
* Complete outputs with call-out boxes to highlight key points
* Interpretation sections and questions to help students better understand the output
* Lab assignments organized the way students proceed when they conduct a research project
* Extra SPSS problems for practice in running and interpreting SPSS
* Helpful appendices on how to get started with SPSS, write research questions, and create tables and figures.
This book is an ideal supplement for courses in either statistics or research methods taught in departments of psychology, education, and other social and health sciences. The Instructor's Resource CD features PowerPoint slides and answers to and additional information on the questions and problems.